Thursday, March 31, 2011

Two great quotes!

In my mind Lincoln may have been one of the most influential  presidents.  His personality, his policies and his leadership allows him to stand out.

He had a strong ability to cast vision, mobilize people, and communicate at a high level.  
     
I would define leadership as a series of decisions that create a collection of events that we undoubtedly maneuver through. Abraham Lincoln once said "if I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I would use 6 hours to sharpen my ax".  There is a lot of wisdom in this quote.  Think about it......a strategic decision was made to utilize 75% of your time doing one thing leaving only 25% of your time to accomplish the goal.  How many of us would have jumped head over heels trying to swing away to get the tree down?  Without a plan......you accomplish little.  Plan, determine what will be most efficient, and execute. 

Lincoln also quoted "if you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, then you will". In this day in time it is hard not to be skeptical of people.  We think everyone has an underlining reason for helping or they are out to copy your get rich plan.  It is true.....we have all said "I wonder what she needs now since she is being so nice".  Oh NO,  he is calling again.........Can we not be nice for the sake of being nice?

This thought process will derail us when we are trying to surround ourselves with those that will make us better.  We need to attract people that are people magnets.  Yes.....most of the time those people are out going and seem to be happy people.  Before you say those are the people that drive me crazy on a Monday morning.  Think about what you want out of life. Well......don't you want to be happy, what about encouraged, what about challenged?  

I said this a few weeks back, I am evaluating my team that surrounds me from top to bottom.  No joke, I made a list of those I am around and socialize the most with.  It is a great list but I asked myself the questions above......I may have to make some changes.  Remember as you build a team don't forget you are part of the team.. 

Someone is making you a better person, but will you do your part to make them better?

Don’t go it alone. Look for role models and consult widely. Include people from different parts of your life.  The same goes for your business.  Attract people magnets that fit your business model and who want to buy into the vision of the company.  Plan, find people magnets, look to be efficient, and execute.  

Have a great weekend and look for more next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment