Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Time!

Owners,
 
Have you run out of time?  Does the day overwhelm you?  If so, you are like so many small business owners.  I have been in this boat where the days just run together.  I was caught in this last week where I didn’t realize it was Friday and thought it was still Thursday.  The sad part, I was more concerned that I had lost a day than realizing it was almost time for the weekend. 
 
In the good days, we would just recommend hiring another worker to maximize your time and efficiency, but in this market you are working so many hours just to make things stick together.  Who has funds to hire another person?  We all wish we could hire more workers…..our economy would be much better if we could. 
 
So, what do we need to do to make things easier?  I have talked about working hard is just part of the business but working smarter is also part of being a small business owner.  Prioritize and work down.  Most would say start with the most important and knock them off the list, but most of the time the most important take the most time.  If this is the case then you would never get to the small things and they will continue to stack up.  Trust me I know.  I have had many things stack up because the “larger, more important” things took priority.  This is new to me….but I am working through it.  I am not saying this will change your life and way of living, but if what you are doing isn’t working try something new.
 
I started something this past week.  The first hour of each day in which we have no meetings I have made this “Task Hour”.  How much can I get done in that first hour?  Because if I wait until the end of the day I am so overwhelmed and burned out I will put it off until tomorrow and then it is a trickle-down effect.  I have challenged myself to do this for 30 days.  I will let you know how I do in 30 days.
 
Small things make a difference………..

No comments:

Post a Comment