Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Leaders

Yes my wife states that if I had my choice I would be a full time student. I love to learn and study. Yes, most would think I am crazy, but I love this! I have taken classes on management, leadership, and ethics through different schools but none of them touch real life.

Leaders will be forced to make tuff decisions in hard times that ultimately impact others on all different levels. So what makes them more capable of making the right decision over the rest of us? Were they born with a crystal ball or a direct phone line to God? How do they do it?

Here is what I see. I see confident leaders make decisions based on not what they want but what is best. They look at past history, circumstances, impact on others, and lean on others for their input. Seeking wise council can be tricky. Not everyone in your phonebook should be considered wise council. Those you trust the most and those you believe will provide you the highest level of council should be your wise council. The highest level of council will not always be what you want to hear but what you need to hear.

The second thing I see from confident leaders is the ability to own their decision, right or wrong. This is not easy because we are human and we want to always be right. Making tuff decisions means at some point we will be wrong and others may be impacted. Stand tall take ownership and do everything to learn from that opportunity. Maxwell has a book called Failing Forward. It is going to happen and don't allow the wrong decision to set you back.

1 comment: